Max Christmas AM, Profile
Max Christmas AM, Chairman and CEO of the Max Christmas Group is an industry pioneer, an elder statesman of the Gold Coast real estate scene who is revered by his peers. He has stamped the industry with a reputation for honesty, integrity and quality advice.
His interest in real estate was synonymous with the growth of the area around him and he began selling and investing in land. His involvement then spread to showrooms and retail shops while building his reputation as a successful local identity.
He opened his own Gold Coast based real estate firm in 1971 and in that time he is recognised as having pioneered the thrust into Hong Kong in 1981, and then in 1985 was the first Australian property identity entering Japan. Over the following 5 years, he introduced over $2.5 Billion worth of property investment in Australia to Japanese investors alone.
These property transactions included:-
Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast Resort Residences and Hotel, Surfers Paradise
Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, Port Douglas
Royal Pines Integrated Resort, Gold Coast
Sanctuary Cove Integrated Resort, Gold Coast
Hope Island Integrated Resort, Gold Coast
Theme Park “Seaworld”, Australia
In 1997, the Max Christmas Group developed relationships with Mainland China in Shanghai and Beijing, and through the Directors of associate company, Crosspac Max Christmas Pty Ltd, the Group developed an association with China International Trust & Investment Corporation (CITIC) in Beijing.
In March 2013, Max Christmas signed a Long Term Strategic Partnership Agreement with Guoxin International Development Company Limited to assist Guoxin to develop its international business to source investment opportunities in resources and related infrastructure; to secure resource products off-take arrangements and consultancy service; and secure corporate finance for the proposed investee company. (See our website page titled “Guoxin”).
His company’s client base includes prominent Australians and International companies, such as:-
- Guoxin International Development Company Limited, Beijing (China)
- CITIC (China)
- Infrastructure Capital International Fund (CI Fund), Beijing (China)
- Chinese Provincial Governments (China)
- Mitsui Corporation (Japan)
- Matsushita Corporation (Japan): Royal Pines Resort & Golf Course, ANA Galleria Hotel
- Chutex Group (Singapore & Taiwan): Textiles, Properties & Trade
- SHC Properties Pty Ltd (Singapore)
- HSP Property Group (Eddie Kornhauser) (Australia)
- Bruce Small Enterprises (Australia)
- Leda Group (Australia)
- Williams Corporation (Australia): Hamilton Island, Seaworld
- National Australia Bank (Australia)
- Westpac Banking Corporation (Australia)
- Sedgman Limited (Australia)
- Desmond Brooks International Design (Australia)
- Urban Planning Services (Australia)
- Queensland Government
- Gold Coast City Council
- Griffith University
In recent years Max Christmas has been active in many Gold Coast and Queensland property transactions and has considerable experience in Asia, including Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Peoples Republic of China.
Because of his background, Max Christmas is regarded as a prominent Real Estate personality in Australia. His advice and opinion is often sought by developers and financial institutions.
In June 2009, Queensland marked 150 years of statehood since it formally separated from New South Wales in 1859. Max was honoured as being one of the 150 Queenslanders who helped shape the State of Queensland during that 150 year period. The list includes Prime Ministers, Queensland Premiers, Lord Mayors, famous sportspeople of all codes and people from music and the arts.
In 2010 Max was inducted into the Gold Coast Business Excellence Awards Businessperson Hall of Fame.
In 2016 Max received an appointment as a Member in the General Division of the Order of Australia. The award was announced on 13 June 2016 in the Queen’s Birthday 2016 Honours List, citing that the honour was for significant service to the real estate and property development sectors, and to tourism, local government, youth and sporting groups.
Max is also heavily involved in many charity and community organisations:-
- Former City Councillor for the Gold Coast City Council
- Strategic Adviser to the Vice Chancellor, Griffith University
- Founder & Sponsor of the Neighbourhood Watch Association in Queensland with Colonial Mutual Insurance and Queensland Police, with Isle of Capri being the first neighbourhood watch area (1986)
- Max is past President and present Patron of the Surfers Paradise Surf Life Saving Club (1998)
- Co-Founder and Patron of the National Outrigger Canoe Association (1990).